This is the most basic-ass tomato sauce.
Goes well with pasta. Goes well with meatballs. Can even slather it on a pizza.
- A tin of passed tomatoes. About 4 dl or 1-2 eagle-screeching cups.
- An onion or two shallots.
- A whole bunch of dried Oregano
- A whole bunch of dried Basil
- Pinch of dried thyme.
- Fresh Basil On Top For Instagram
Yes, you want to use dried herbs here. They’re superior in sauces and cooked food. If you’re gonna get as much flavor from fresh herbs, you’re gonna have to go full Bolsonaro on your garden and even then it will be a bit bland.
How It’s Made
- Chop the onion as finely as you can be bothered.
- Sautee the onion in some butter. Low heat, for a long time. You want it soft and almost beginning to caramelize.
- Add tomato puree, stir and wait for it to heat up
- Add salt. Stir for a minute. Taste. Repeat until it doesn’t taste watery and bland. This is an important step. It probably takes more salt than you expect. Do not skip the taste test.
- Add a whole bunch of dried oregano and basil. Maybe a pinch of thyme.
- Leave it on low/medium heat for 20 mins. Stir so it doesn’t burn.
- Add fresh basil on top when you’re posting pics online.
I’d post a pic myself but if you’ve seen the color red you’ve basically already seen what tomato sauce looks like.